Friday, August 23, 2013

My Moroccan Bucket List

I've always felt that writing your goals down increases the chances of them happening and I'm hoping that posting them on this blog (even though I'm pretty sure only my family is reading this) will even further increase the chances that I will achieve my goals.

So, what I hope to do while I'm in Morocco:

1. RIDE CAMELS! Camels are beautiful. The kings of the desert. My favorite animal and probably one of the best parts about learning Arabic. They're also tasty. Quite the multipurpose animal and I will ride at least one while I'm in Morocco.

2. Be comfortable and fluent(ish) in Arabic. Arabic is  a difficult language and full fluency in any language usually takes more than a year. However, at the end of the year I want to be able to say that I put my best foot forward, studied my butt off, and got as close to fluency as I possibly could.

3. Send postcards

4. Consistently update this blog. Being able to find one good blog by a NSLI-Y student in Morocco was great, but I do wish I could've seen multiple views of the experience.

5. Pick up Darija ( Moroccan Arabic) and some French.

6. Disspell myths about Americans and Texans. 

7. Learn to belly dance!

8. EAT good food! ( While not gaining more than 10 kilos)

9. Learn how to cook a Moroccan dish

10. Learn about Islam

11. Eat one of those donuts that old men make in vats of oil on the street (a Moroccan told me about this). I'll figure out the name for it later.

12. Take lots of pictures!

13. Go to Jardin Majorelle 


14. Hold a monkey

15. Make an American and maybe even a Paraguayan dish for my host family

16. Learn about Moroccan music and learn how they sing/an instrument specific to the region

17. Eat pastilla (pigeon pie)

18. Shop at a souq

19. Bathe in the famous Moroccan hammams

20. Go to museums

21. Eat as many strange foods as possible

22. Get sick, but enjoy the exchange anyways

23. Get homesick

23. And get over it

24. Get some aladdin shoes

25. Use little to no English

26. Most importantly have fun!

2 comments:

  1. I really like your blog =) those donuts are called " Sefang " hh. I'm Salah and I'm from morocco, I live in marrakech. This is my e-mail if u want some help in Arabic language or anything else : Salah-sdl@hotmail.fr
    have a wonderful day =)

    ReplyDelete