Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Being Grateful

I'll be honest, the whole Arabic every day for eight months is hard. I knew coming into this program that Arabic was a difficult language and that if I wanted to succeed in my time here I would have to remain focused. At times I am a 100% focused and at other times it feels like any motivation I had is completely lost. However, each time that motivation disappears it all comes back because I realize that I have been given an incredible opportunity that I need to make the most of. I am living in an amazing and beautiful country. I am surrounded by great friends, even though we do the same things all the time I still always enjoy our routines of going to a cafe or just walking around Marrakech without purpose. Honestly, just about everyone in this country is amazing. The welcoming strangers and the Moroccans that have invited myself and friends to tea and dinner are some of the people I will remember most from my experience here and these stranger manage to help outweigh the street harassment that is ever so present in Morocco. I have the best host family ever. Really I do. I couldn't be happier where I am and they have been incredibly gracious in welcoming me and making me feel like a part of the family. I also seem to have gained three mothers while I've been here. When a Moroccan women calls you bintee "daughter" you better believe that you have a new mama and be happy because they will treat you like their actual daughters, and Moroccan mothers are fantastic. A Mother is one of the best people on Earth and being able to have multiple is even better. I also have teachers and mentors that are incredibly patient. Not only are the people here fantastic, but to my family and friends that have kept in touch with me from abroad you have no idea the impact you have made, and that a simple message just always seems to make things even better than they already are.

One of the things I constantly told myself through high school was that the only thing constant in life is change. Arriving in Morocco was a huge change, but then I got settled in and made what felt to be a pretty good and comfortable life in Morocco. However, being here has taught me that the moment you think you have everything figured out you realize that in reality you don't have anything figured out. Life is a process of continual learning and rediscovering of yourself and the world around you.

To all my friends, family, those that aren't biologically related but practically are related, teachers, mentors, etc. At this moment I am just so incredibly grateful for everything you have done, for the amazing times we have spent together, and through all the things you have helped me learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment