Saturday, February 2, 2013

AFS Mid-Year Orientation and Matisyahu

My amazing group!
      Last week I finally became an official volunteer for AFS! I have been volunteering with AFS ever since I came back from my study abroad in Paraguay in 2011, but it did not become official until now. As an official volunteer I was able to be one of the group leaders. The mid-year orientation consisted of reviewing of topics such as safety and being an ambassador, but also included goal setting and a reflection of their year so far. All of the exchange students from the Austin and San Antonio area were there and being able to spend a weekend with them was just another reminder of why I love being around exchange students and why I love studying abroad.


The other exciting thing of the week is that I got to go to the Matisyahu concert in San Marcos! I had gone to the San Antonio concert in November and it was absolutely amazing (it included getting on stage and singing with Matisyahu for One Day!) Go to 2:55 on the video. Both concerts were truly amazing and for the concert in San Marcos I got a vip pass so I was able to meet him! My friend and I decided to give Matisyahu a baja sweater from the downtown market because we wanted to attempt to do something memorable, and it was honestly nerve-wracking for me. Luckily, it ended up being a success. He decided to put it on right away and in one of his pictures on instagram from later on the week he was wearing it! For those of you that are in an area where Matisyahu is going for his acoustic show I definitely recommend going! 



Here's a video of one of my favorite songs he performed.
    Since this blog is mainly for writing about studying abroad I'll give a quick update on my plans. I recently had my NSLI-Y interview. Now I just have to wait patiently for my notification sometime in April or maybe even late March. I also decided to apply to CBYX, which is a year abroad scholarship to Germany. I really want to take a gap year and I decided that I might as well give it a shot and open up as many opportunities as I can. Wish me luck!

  





No comments:

Post a Comment