Friday, July 20, 2012

Arabian Nights

   This weekend we got to go "camping". Now, if camping were like this in the United States I would love to go camping all the time. The campsite we went to defined luxurious camping.


 Our tent
   
      In the main part of Nizwa we went to Fort Nizwa and the souq. We only had half an hour in the souq, but it was still enough time to find the good hand made silver that Nizwa is known for.
   On the way up we got to stop in a small town. The structure was very interesting because all the houses were built on rocks, they also had a stream of mountain water going through the whole town. I got to talk to a few girls their that asked our names and said hello, they seemed to be sisters.

    For lunch we stopped at a campsite/ bungalow type of resort and had lunch at the restaurant there. There were small hills and we walked around after eating and I met a goat. We gave him the original name of Billy. He was the only goat that would come to  me, and he ended up following me up the mountain. I really wanted to take him home with me, but I suppose it just wouldnt've worked out that well.

 We stopped by the Nizwa gourge, and it was absolutely astonishing. This picture doesn't come close to doing it any justice. The Nizwa gourge is larger than the grand canyon, and when you looked down you would see goats wandering around. Across from where we stopped there were a few girls selling bracelets and key chains they had made from goat and sheep hair. The girls were so precious, and very friendly as most Omani's are.
     When we arrived at the campsite it was raining! I was really excited because I can't even remember when the last time I saw rain(I think maybe April or May). It helped the temperature drop down to the perfect temperature for camping. When we had stopped at Fort Nizwa and the souq the temperature had been 44 degrees celcius(111.2 degrees farenheit). The weather was so enjoyable that we spent the whole time outside, and in the evening it got even better. I ended up staying up really late playing card games with a few of the girls in the group and one of the driver, but the weather was so amazing that I wanted to stay out as long as possible.
    Today we went on a short walk through some of the mountains and went swimming in the wadi's which felt absolutely incredible. Most of the time there were fish that were pretty small, but not small enough to be minnows that continually body slammed themselves into my feet. I was fortunate enough to not come in contact with a leech, but one girl did get bitten by a leech. Fortunately it was a small leech for her to get off.

    Today I finally got to meet the juice man. There is a juice shop near the hotel that just about all the NSLI-Y kids have been to, and they call the owner the juice man (in Arabic rajid asir). In order to get a juice from him he asks you questions in Arabic and makes sure to teach us several different things in Arabic. The juices are pretty good, and during Ramadan new juice flavors are offered so for the next week I'm considering getting a juice everday; I will be forced to practice Arabic more, and I will get a tasty juice. Ramadan is starting tomorrow and I am really curious to see the changes in routine and behaviors.





No comments:

Post a Comment