Thursday, July 5, 2012

First Full Day in Oman

     Today we spent the whole day on in country orientation.We learned about the main rules we need to know and discussed the itinerary. The more I learn about the intinerary the more I'm excited to acually go out, today we spent the day in the hotel for the most part since rest is necessary after such a long flight and orientation is extremely important. The main things I'm excited about is the service work we will be doing, we will get to go do a support the environment type of thing. This activity will mainly focus on decreasing the usage of plastic. We will also get to help teach English to 9th and 10th graders, and teaching is something I definitely want to look into for my future. The other thing, and what my Dad would defintely say is the best thing, that I'm looking forward to is that we get to go camping in the interiror in Arabian tents.  We also received our cellphones(over here they call them gsm's) and they're actually really nice, a pink blackberry! Apparently over here they're really into technology, and when we went out to dinner tonight I saw that everyone had really nice cars and cellphones in the city. I also heard my first call to prayer and it was about a few minutes long and they played a song on speakers that are spread across the city.
After orientation we had sometime to rest and I took some photos, here are some various photos from today:





 It's a drink full of electrolytes that's really supposed to help keep you energized.






We went out for dinner tonight and it was amazing! It was so great to have hummus in the Middle East:
   
Tortilla/bread type of thing with hummus and an eggplant paste












The meat was absolutely incredible! I love Omani food!



It was like a Middle Eastern quesadilla. It had cheese and vegetables.
For dessert we got to have fresh fruit! Papaya, watermelon, sweet melon, and huge grapes.



No comments:

Post a Comment