Monday, July 2, 2012

Orientation At Its Best

      Crossing the expanse of the D.C airport to reach the luggage claim, an hour later than planned due to electrical issues on the plane, I realized that I was the last of the girls in the group at the airport to arrive.
    Orientation has been jam packed with learning, but also included some touristy things.
Today we spent the majority of the day in the American Councils building. We got a big introduction on the NSLI-Y program and its expectations of us. In a summary the two main things we need as a NSLI-Y students is 1. Communication and 2. Responsibility. The rest involved learning our target language, being a door to the United States, as well as learning the culture of our country.
   One of the parts that excited me the most today was when we got to talk with a coordinater of the NSLI-Y program that works with the State department in the public diplomacy sector. I got to find out about the different departments in the department of state that involve working abroad. I got to see alot of options that I was unaware about, as well as learn a little about the application process.
    I got to visit both the Oman embassy and the cultural center, the people at both places were ridiculously nice and extremely welcoming ( a trait that Omanis are said to have!). In the embassy we got to learn about the relations between the United States and Oman, and learn about what work in the embassy involved. In the Oman cultural center we got to talk to an intern from Muscat, Oman and got to learn about more specific things about food, as well as things that were geared more towards women.
 Goodies from the embassy and cultural center.



     The main portion of the day was spent on discussing safety during the trip and answering various questions.
    We also got to walk to the White House, which was really exciting for me, being that this is my first time in D.C, and I was thoroughly pleased that we were able to do some sightseeing on the side of orientation.






I can't believe I will be leaving tomorrow! I am beyond excited and after hearing and preparing so much for my time in Oman I truly want to see what it's all about!

On the Side: for those of you that have facebook, I have entered a photo contest for photos from students exchange trips and I have entered a photo from my trip to Paraguay. The winners are based off of the amount of likes they get, so it would be a great favor if you could like the photo. Thank you very much! https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151876673990257&set=a.10151876672945257.868661.227061900256&type=3&theater

  

No comments:

Post a Comment