Thursday, July 26, 2012

Halfway through already?

     It feels like I'm embarking on a whole new program, and in reality it's just the middle of the program, and since it is the middle of the program we will of course be having a MID-TERM! Yes, a mid-term in the summer that's right. I have learned so much these last three weeks and it's amazing what good teachers can do. I'm actually really glad to have a check-up because I want to make sure and get practice with the Arabic tests before our final end of the program exam.
    The other most important thing that happens in the middle of the program is that we finally get to move in with host families! Tonight we will be going to some sort of activity(they haven't told us what it is yet) and meeting our host families and going home with them. I'm really looking forward to leaving the hotel and being able to immerse myself even more in the Omani culture, especially to learn more about Ramadan.
    On Tuesday I went to my first iftar with Omani's. It was an end of the program party for the access girls, and I'm so glad that we were able to go. The party started by the breaking of the fast, and that went well excluding one minor mishap. I had loaded my plate with veggies and curry, a fresh green salad is pretty hard to come by and I was feeling great about being to have some salad until I realized that the whole green bean I had just put in my mouth had a really really different texture. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, oh wait, my mouth was burning, and so were my lips. I got slightly choked up and desperatly got some water, and the girls also gave me a yogurt drink. That green bean definitely wasn't a green bean, it turned out to be a green chili instead. Excluding the green chili's the food was pretty good. The games afterward were really fun. In the morning when we had gone to access I had helped with making a treasure hunt, and watching everyone look for the treasure was just too exciting. I can't believe that the access program is already over, in just a few weeks I felt like I was able to get to know the girls, and I really will miss them.
    I'm loving Oman, and looking forward to the experiences that will continue coming.
  
     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment